In the hotel industry, major revenue comes from rooms, and therefore, the importance of housekeeping becomes the topmost priority. As total hygiene is to be guaranteed to the guests on priority, the hotels make sure that their reputation does not suffer because of non-standard hygiene and cleanliness that do not meet up with expectations. As per Emprise’s white paper, around 97% of travelers have said that cleanliness for them is one of the important factors when they are booking any accommodation, and even one single negative review makes them lose interest. So, it is understandable why hotels understand and value the importance of housekeeping and how much it affects the business if not provided as per the expectations.
What are some specific benefits of maintaining a high level of housekeeping in the hotel industry?
The hotel industry completely understands the importance of housekeeping department because they are responsible not just to prepare comfortable and tidy rooms provided to the guests, but they are also responsible for proper cleaning and maintenance to offer quality within the room. They make sure that the surrounding looks are completely fresh and can attract new customers or motivate the current ones for future bookings.
In regards to the importance of housekeeping, the below mentioned are some specific benefits which the hotel industry can receive maintaining a high level of it,
- Comfort and convenience offered to all the guests.
- Offering a hygienic and clean atmosphere to make the stay highly Desirable.
- Ensuring to make the guest feel good about the booking they have made.
- Ensuring the upkeep of the aesthetic within the rooms.
- Maintenance of reputation as well as the success of the hotel industry, etc.
How can a hotel ensure that its housekeeping standards meet or exceed guests’ expectations?
With housekeeping acting as the backbone of the accommodation sector, it is important that the hotels can ensure to have housekeeping standards. They are also to make sure that the same is being met or that they exceed customers’ expectations. Further, to make sure about it, the following can be done,
- Ensure to have proper inspections based on the standards set.
- Checking on the routine procedures of housekeeping.
- Taking feedback from the guests about the room makeup and the deficiency they experienced.
- Ensure to have a visual check-up on the housekeeping and the maintenance performance.
- Making periodic inspections of the rooms as scheduled, etc.
What impact can poor housekeeping have on a hotel’s reputation and online reviews?
To have poor housekeeping within the hotel industry, and not understanding the importance of Housekeeping in the hotel industry, can cost the business a lot of money. From the lost revenue to the maintenance costs, there can be numerous other costs that will pile up later.
Not just above, the hotel with the poor housekeeping will have poor reviews and lose business. They will never be able to have the repeat customers.
As per the importance of housekeeping PDF, the success of the hotel is largely dependent upon the quality of the housekeeping, and therefore, it is to be made sure that from time to time, a regular check is kept over the same to ensure the customer’s complete quality.
How can Important of housekeeping practices affect a hotel’s overall revenue and profitability?
The fact that the largest margin of the profit of a hotel comes from the sale of their rooms, as a room, once made, it can be sold repeatedly, it is important that the business start to understand how does housekeeping work in a hotel.
In case of a lack of understanding, there will be either fewer sales of the rooms or no sales of the rooms. In simple terms, the good hotel operation, in order to have optimal sales and receive maximum profit, is highly dependent upon housekeeping.
The sale of the room is also dependent upon the décor quality along with the cleanliness, facilities within the room, and the room safety, which is all to be ensured by the end of the housekeeping department. Now in case if the housekeeping is unable to provide a home away from home experience, it will definitely affect the overall revenue and profitability of the hotels.
What technologies or tools are available to improve housekeeping efficiency and effectiveness in the hotel industry?
Understanding the importance of housekeeping, and the important role that the housekeeping technology nowadays plays within the hotels, bringing in the best will be a perfect choice.
The housekeeping technologies ensure that the core responsibilities and duties of the department are performed as needed and as required. With the implementation of such technology solutions, the hotels can actually improve the effectiveness of the processes, identify the needs of specific customers and boost the efficiency of housekeeping.
Accounting for the above, the technologies and tools available for improving housekeeping efficiency and effectiveness after understanding the importance of housekeeping department, are as follows,
- Housekeeping software
- Air purifier technology
- Sustainable cleaning products
- Housekeeping technology used for the purpose of training.
- Voice controls and apps communication
- The artificial intelligence use case
- Robotic team of housekeeping and alike.
How do hotel guests typically evaluate a hotel’s housekeeping standards and what factors do they consider most important?
To evaluate the housekeeping standards, the guest looks forward to the below-mentioned,
- The average cleaning time is taken from start to finish.
- Variance cleaning Times that indicate the room attendant performance by calculation of the difference between scheduled cleaning times and the actual cleaning times.
- Moving around time or the hidden cost of the housekeeping that is used for measuring the time spent on non-cleaning activities.
- Daily inspection quality scores, which are essential to offer the guest the best experience.
- Turnaround time which helps to check over the time elapsed between check out and cleaning.
Concerning the evaluation of Hotel housekeeping standards, the guest considers, the 5S management concept that gets promoted to keep track of the good housekeeping practices in the hotel industry.
The guests use the Standardization, Neatness, Discipline, Organization, and Cleanliness to measure the standard of Hotel housekeeping. So, the hotel managers can,
- Standardization. It will include regulating and enforcing the result of the other four processes by setting up procedures and proper guidelines.
- Discipline. It is repeated 5S application within everyday work tasks that is done by the staff for ensuring to have good work habits that can result in discipline cultivation.
- Neatness. It is associated with identifying the location and the quantity of storage and the demand for the orderly arrangement for better return and retrieval.
- Organisation. Includes sorting and then disposal of all of the items that are of no use or have been used but not completely.
- Cleanliness. It simply means to clean and to guarantee that every single thing or rather equipment is completely clean and remains in well-functioning condition.
By looking through the above five things ensured by the management of the hotel, the guest does not just make the decision of whether or not they are going to stay in the hotel in the future again or whether they are going to offer a negative review for the stay period. This is why it becomes important to understand the importance of housekeeping and to take it seriously within the hospitality industry.
In what ways can a hotel’s housekeeping practices contribute to the safety and wellbeing of its guests and employees?
Cleanliness and the importance of housekeeping within the hotel industry are considered as closely linked with respect to safety and hygiene. It provides the guest and the employees with a safer place where they can work while it continues to offer a huge boost to the hotel’s image. Apart from it all, it also helps in improving the productivity and efficiency of the employees while helping to have a good control over the processes and assisting with the maintenance of the product quality.
Hotels must understand the importance of housekeeping on time as it helps in the prevention of injuries and provides a good imprint upon the people who are visiting the place. With respect to the employees, it also contributes towards not just their health but also the safety and affects the morale, which in turn affects the entire success of the organization.
It is said that housekeeping and cleanliness practices, in general, they reflect upon the management’s attitude toward the healthy practices. A good housekeeping reflects the pride within the workplace, and that signals that the hotel has been doing and maintaining a healthy work culture which is quite important not just for employees but also for the guest who visits the hotels to have hassle-free service.
Keeping the above in mind, it is important to understand that the job description of housekeeping in hotel must be taken very seriously before making an application for the role. Now, it is the responsibility of both the employees and the management to maintain cleanliness and housekeeping; after all, panic and periodic cleanups can get costly and might be ineffective.
They might not even work for improving the work environment where the employees can offer efficient performance and where the guests can have proper relaxation during their stay. It is because of it all that housekeeping must not just ensure a clean, safe, and well-organized space but must make sure to handle everything they are expected of to create the hotel a perfect place to stay and to work.