Luxury, fun, privacy, adventure, and service, some hotels seem to just have it all. I mean, those uniformed guys that welcome us to the hotel and never let us carry our luggage ourselves,” The Hotel porter and bellhops”, yea those guys are the best. I mean what a relief luggage’s are just too heavy!
Knowing your way around a hotel and being able to identify hotel staff as well as their various duties, can save you a lot of time and make your adventure a little more stress-free and safe I mean it’s a crazy world now with con artists everywhere.
And that is why today, we’ll discuss the responsibility and qualifications of the “hotel porter who helps with the luggage of guests” Aka the “porter” or “bellhop”. We’ll also share with you a few tips on How to request assistance and what to do if your luggage gets missing or lost in a hotel.
Responsibility Of The Hotel Porter Who Assist Guest With Luggage
The hotel porter, bellhop, or hotel luggage helper, sometimes referred to as Concierge when at a senior level are the superheroes of the hotel. Performing a variety of tasks and Ensuring customer satisfaction.
- Carrying and Storing of luggage: The Hotel porter is front-house-man of the hotel, he is the first to welcome the guests with warm greetings and assist them with their luggage, he takes the luggage to their room on arrival and from their room to the lobby on departure, he is also responsible for parking guest cars. Luggage and keys are also kept under his care and supervision.
- Giving Directions and information: After the guest reservation is verified, the porter takes guests to their designated room and gives them a tour around the room, enlightening them on the usefulness of the room, and telling them everything they need to know. He also gives directions to the guest who does not know their way around. Answer queries about the hotel and make restaurant reservations on behalf of guests.
- Ensuring Guest Satisfaction: The porter helps guests run basic errands like picking up laundry, delivering late-night snacks, returning used plates to the kitchen, and booking reservations and transportation for guests he ensures that the entire stay of the guest is thrilling, unforgettable, and satisfying. He also ensures that guests are safe
And that’s it, hotel porters have a lot on their table, and we hope you take advantage of their responsibility when next you visit a Hotel.
Qualification For Hotel porter/bellhops Who Assist With luggage
Porter’s role does not typically require formal education. A high school diploma or GED, as well as Other courses, would be convenient. Porters receive on-the-job training. Beginners typically learn how to use and maintain industrial equipment by reporting to a more experienced Porter. They also learn how to interact with guests and clients in their specific work environment.
But to be an excellent porter, you must possess a variety of prerequisite skills such as:
• Excellent communication skills: Ability to express yourself politely and understandably. If you want to be a good Hotel Porter Speaker then you have to build Good verbal communication and interpersonal skills, which will boost your confidence while speaking with your boss and customer. Which Means it guide you to speak clearly, concisely, and loudly (but not too loudly) while talking with Guests.
• A good memory: Ability to retain useful hotel information and keep track of people and events.
• Excellent Organizational skills: The multitasking nature of the porter’s job requires the ability to use time and resources efficiently and effectively. Ability to manage your time, energy, and physical workspace to complete tasks successfully.
• Strong Customer service skills: Patient, tolerant, Empathetic, and slow to anger, a good porter is humble and down to earth when dealing with customers, and persuasive when the need arises. Listen to and provides the needs of the guest.
• Physical Fitness: The ability to carry out a daily task, with vigor and guardedness without undue fatigue, and with sufficient energy to enjoy leisure-time pursuits and meet unforeseen emergencies. The multitasking nature of a hotel porter requires physical fitness, from heavy lifting to moving around running errands, and keeping track of hotel activities.
• Knowledge of safety Regulations: Human loss is immeasurable and intolerable these days, so workplace health and safety procedures are critical for the well-being of both employees and employers.
A minimum level of experience may be required to apply for a position as a Hotel Porter/Bellhop. When looking for a job, having some experience as a Porter can give an applicant an advantage over others. As a Porter, you should have knowledge of the local area and/or ports, a hospitality certification, and apprenticeship experience in a motel, hotel, or cruise ship.
How To Request Assistance With Luggage at a Hotel.
On special occasions, when a Hotel bellhop and Porter are unavailable or we decide to ship our luggage ahead of us. There are a few precautions we can take to ensure that our luggage arrives safely at the hotel and hotel room.
• Contacting the hotel in advance: Making reservations and informing the hotel ahead of time, providing the requirements and descriptions in detail will help them to make preparations that will help you way ahead of time before you arrive.
• Communicating clearly with Employees: while making requests or seeking information from employees ensure that, that you make your discussion simple, concise, and understood. Give the right details and description.
• Be respectful: Every job or profession is important in its way, Respect is an essential component of interpersonal and professional relationships as well as personal identity, while speaking with the hotel porter you must speak with respect and politeness rather than being rude and arrogant.
• Be Appreciative: Say thank you with a big smile on your face. This will make not only you feel good about yourself, but also, make the porter feel good as well.
What Should you Do If Luggage Is Lost or Damaged by a Hotel Employee
If your luggage ever goes missing, lost or damaged by an Hotel Porter/Employee the first thing you should do is to contact the hotel manager responsible for risk management and your lawyer.
The hotel is strictly liable for loss or damage to a guest’s property unless the property is lost or destroyed due to an act of God, or due to an mistake accident caused by the employee or hotel luggage helper.
According to public policy, The hotel must insure the property of his or her guests. A guest’s illegal activities during the loss or injury to his or her property does not absolve the Hotel of liability if the conduct is not the direct cause of the loss.
Tipping Hotel Employees Who Assist With Luggage
Hotel Porter or Concierges are the superheroes of the hotel and they deserve all the tips we can give. Because help us from our carrying lugged to washing out foot.
Tipping is a way of expressing tangible gratitude and appreciation to those who make your life easier.
But knowing what, when, and how to give isn’t always clear out. Depending on the circumstances, tips vary. They are certain factors that influence the tip, like the level of service you have received and your budget.
The amount varies according to the task. Here are some pointers to remember:
Tip based on the amount of work involved. For example, hailing a cab is simple, but working their connections and calling around to accommodate a large group for a last-minute dinner reservation is more difficult.
Recommended tips for Hotel Employees Assist Includes:
The amount varies according to the task. Here are some pointers to remember
- Carrying Bags: In this section you can Tip between $1 and $4 per bag, it totally depends upon you how much you want to Tip. Increase the tip for heavy luggage.
- Hailing a taxi: Tip $5 for hailing a waiting cab and up to $20 for hailing a moving cab during a rainstorm. The American Hotel and Lodging Association (AHLA) suggests $1 to $2. Unite Here( a labor union representing hospitality and other workers) recommends tipping $2 to $5 when the valet drops off your car
Consider the cost:
Don’t just think about the nightly rate and a few meals when calculating how much you’ll spend on a hotel stay. Because tips can add up, factor them into the total cost of your stay.
And that’s a wrap we all know who that Hotel Porter that assists you with luggage and takes them to our rooms is. Hotel Porter, help to make our stay memorable and satisfying, imagine how our vacation would have been without them I mean heavy load lifting on vacation thank Goodness they are there.
You May Also Like