The sector of hotel management has experienced great expansion not only in Mumbai but also over the whole nation. Several hotel management jobs in Mumbai become available for students after the successful completion of the appropriate courses.
India is one of the most sought-after and vibrant tourist destinations, hence the government is supporting and funding the growth of the hotel and travel industries as well. It’s not only that the industry has revived in the post-pandemic world, but also the need for hospitality and travel has grown over time.
7 Top Skills For Hotel Management Jobs In Mumbai For Freshers
If you are a fresher and wondering how your approach should be while applying to hotel management jobs in Mumbai, don’t worry. We got you covered !! Below are some fundamental abilities or skills that you must have as a fresher.
- Communication: The most crucial characteristic in the hotel management industry is communication abilities. You should be able to speak respectfully and confidently both verbally and in writing.
- Service to Guests: Making guests feel welcome and comfortable is the main goal of hospitality. Customers are the king, and they drive the entire hotel management approach.
- Team Work: Collaboration is essential in hotel management jobs in Mumbai for freshers; alone players are irrelevant. Those of you who are committed and want to work in this field undoubtedly have teamwork skills.
- Time management: If you don’t know how to manage your time, you’ll never be successful. Time is money. You must be able to prioritize your responsibilities and complete them by the deadlines set in order to succeed in the field of hotel management.
- Multitasking: You will need to become skilled at multitasking whether or not you think it is something you do well. The secret to mastering multitasking is practice. You’ll be able to determine your limitations and learn how to allocate your time effectively.
- Language Proficiency: In the hotel industry, having language abilities makes one more valuable as an employee. Speaking the consumers’ language allows for a closer relationship, which promotes customer satisfaction and loyalty.
- Patience: Last but not least, each career in customer service or hospitality requires patience. Hospitality workers must commit themselves to finding efficient solutions to problems, despite continuous difficulties and annoying behavior from consumers.
These were some must-have skills that you must have before applying for Hotel Management Jobs in Mumbai, however, you always can upgrade yourself by learning many others. Just, according to the old maxim, “life is a learning process.”
Training Program or Internship Recommendation In Mumbai
The importance and impact of the city of Mumbai are huge on the nation, especially when it comes to the hospitality industry. Apart from the fact that the tourism industry of Maharashtra is good, Mumbai is the home of many high-profile personalities, especially movie stars.
Consequently, the premium hotels of the city need to work day in and day out to maintain proper service. And that’s why you are most likely to find an internship program in some of the top-class hotels in Mumbai. As a fresher, this will be an added advantage if you get internship opportunities or even entry-level hotel management jobs in Mumbai.
However, different hotels offer their internship programs at different times of the year. Hence, you need to look up whether the hotels are currently admitting students to any training program or not. You might enquire about some of the most known in the industry via email or other relevant options. Below is a selection of these hotels:
- The Taj Mahal Palace
- The Oberoi Mumbai
- JW Marriott Mumbai Sahar Airport
- Grand Hyatt Mumbai Hotel and Residences
- The Lalit Mumbai
- Taj Lands End, Mumbai
- Goldfinch Hotel Mumbai
Please note that this list was not made based on their internship programs. These were some of our best recommendations. You need to inquire whether they are offering hotel management jobs in Mumbai currently. Most of them often have an option called “Career” at the bottom end of their website (or in some other places; navigate through the page a bit to find it). You can check that option and see the availability of jobs.
Future Opportunities of The Hotel Industry In Mumbai
First things first, it’s a huge myth that the travel, tourism, and hospitality industry is still suffering due to the impacts of COVID-19. Mumbai, the financial center of India, has already seen a prolonged revival in the hotel sector over the past year, mostly due to an uptick in business travel and expensive conferences and events.
For instance, the city’s occupancy topped 80% for the first time since the epidemic in the last quarter of 2022. Hence hotel management jobs in Mumbai for freshers will also gradually increase day by day.
One may represent a few past instances when the industry has observed a declining curve, but if one notices the overall growth, it has only increased. Rarest occurrences like COVID-19 may affect it, but it will always flourish in the long run.
Therefore, to arrive at a conclusion from the data and facts that we have, it is almost impossible that the industry would ever face an irretrievable collapse.
How Do Hotels In Mumbai Evaluate Candidates?
Any hotel typically hires candidates based on certain parameters. Though a hotel may choose to judge a specific quality in the candidate, mostly some common criteria are checked, such as:
- Whether the candidate has the specific skill that they are looking for and is mentioned in the job description.
- Top hotels in Mumbai, like The Taj, stress in GM Interview, the final phase of the interview process.
- Performance in group discussion. The mentality to work in a team is also observed during this time.
- Communication skills, humbleness, and improvisational skills during the personal interview.
- Grasp of knowledge in the specific post that you are applying for.
Colleges also often train students for this. So you can seek help from your teachers as well.
Professional Networks In Mumbai For Freshers
There are indeed countless organizations in Mumbai that provide consultation services and mentorship for finding hotel management jobs in Mumbai. Many freshers have also claimed to be benefited from such organizations.
But it is difficult to mention any particular organizations. More than that, it is also a matter of doubt whether a fresher needs to join such associations in spite of studying in a hotel management institute. At least, for entry-level hotel management jobs in Mumbai, only one institution (where they are studying) should be enough.
If you are one of those who have not pursued this stream academically, only then you should consider joining such a professional network. In that case, a simple piece of advice would be to conduct thorough research before joining and track the past record of the institution that you are about to join.
Hotel Management Salary in Mumbai
The thriving industry makes huge profits. In comparison, the hotel sector’s yearly profit margin typically ranges between 70 and 80 percent. One may operate a firm excellently by using the appropriate talents.
To keep the hotel industry’s standards high, more workers are needed. Without a question, the industry offers a larger revenue potential from a financial standpoint. Hotel management salary in Mumbai varies according to the level of expertise. A recent graduate who is starting out might expect to make between Rs. 2-4 Lakhs.
Throughout the first several months of employment, a new employee goes through training. A hotel’s general manager may make between 7-16 Lakhs each year. Only expertise and experience matter in this field. Compared to other cities in India, this is slightly on the higher end.
Overcoming Challenges of The Hospitality Industry
Throughout the years, many hoteliers have shared their problems over various social and professional platforms. Based on those, here we’re presenting some of the most commonly faced challenges and their solutions.
- Housekeeping is one of the major challenges in this industry. Especially maintaining cleanliness often becomes difficult for hoteliers. As an effective solution, only well-planned strategies can help.
- Customers frequently do not stick with a particular brand because there are so many hotels offering tempting deals. The most practical strategy to grow your loyal client base is to run loyalty programs.
- Rising competition often becomes an obstacle to freshers. Many are also pursuing other Diploma courses so that they can remain higher in preference. As a fresher, you may undertake online courses apart from your regular course. And the certifications can be used as an added advantage.
- Building an effective resume is also a hurdle. As a recent graduate or new employee, leave off any cliché or pointless social connections from your CV. Remove any unneeded or sensitive material from your resume to improve your chances of being hired.
- Problem-solving is another problem. In order to handle issues quickly and effectively, students need to be able to think on their feet. Practical experience can fix this issue.
- Lastly passing exams and achieving good academic scores won’t work in this field. One needs to have practical solutions to sudden problems. When it comes time for them to assume management responsibilities within the company, students should have a thorough grasp of the fundamentals of the hospitality sector to enable them to make wise judgments.
To sum it up, hotel management jobs in Mumbai can be one of the most lucrative careers in India. Several individuals are selecting hospitality over other academic fields due to its expanding field of study. It is one of those possibilities that gives applicants the chance to work and vacation abroad. With expertise in the hotel industry, there is nothing you cannot do !!!
You May also Like