A healthy breakfast is the best way to start the day for everyone.
Relishing a tasty breakfast can set everyone up for the rest of the day, whether they are on vacation or off to work. That’s the primary reason all restaurants and hotels place extreme importance on serving breakfast every single time.
But how many types of breakfast are there, really? From traditional rich breakfasts to impressive continental and spicy Mexican breakfasts, the types of breakfasts are limitless.
As a hospitality enthusiast, you must know the popular types of breakfast served in hotels so that you can deliver the most personal and delightful experience to your guests.
And that’s precisely what we are discussing here in this post. So, if you are ready, let’s start:
What Is Breakfast?
According to the Merriam-Webster dictionary, breakfast is ‘the first meal of the day, especially when taken in the morning’. This pretty much sums up all you need to know about breakfast.
The word breakfast has been reported to be in use since the 15th century, the dictionary says. Two criteria need to be met for a meal to be breakfast:
- It has to be the first meal of the day.
- It must be taken in the morning.
Types of Breakfast In Hotel
Hotels serve different types of breakfast. Depending on the availability of the cuisine and the hotel’s location, the type of breakfast can change. While you may find certain types of the breakfast menu at a hotel, other types may not be, depending on the cuisines they serve in the morning.
Here we discuss some of the most popular types of breakfast in hotel, such as:
- Continental breakfast
- American breakfast
- British breakfast
#1. Continental Breakfast
The continental breakfast originated on the European continent, hence the name. It is consumed commonly in Europe and consists of a variety of breads, fruits, pastries, and beverages.
The chief differentiator of continental breakfast is its focus on simplicity and food that can be readily stocked.
Top Continental Breakfast Foods
In a continental breakfast, the following food items are often included:
- A variety of breads and pastries, such as croissants, bagels, muffins, and Danish pastries.
- Spreads, such as butter, jam, honey, or cream cheese to go with the breads and pastries.
- Fresh fruits, such as sliced melon, bananas, apples, oranges, or berries.
- Cereals and granola, along with milk or yogurt, are also often included in a continental breakfast.
- Beverages, such as coffee, tea, or juice, are another standard inclusion of a continental breakfast.
Things to Remember When Serving a Continental Breakfast
You must serve a continental breakfast with utmost care and professionalism. Always bear the following elements in mind when you serve a continental breakfast:
- Have a wide variety of food that your guests can choose from.
- Don’t miss out on baked foods, as bread items are vital to a continental breakfast.
- Always include lots of fresh fruit, as it’s an integral part of a continental breakfast.
- A continental breakfast typically does not have hot items like sausages or eggs.
- Always add condiments to the continental breakfast serving, such as butter, jam, honey, or cream cheese
Continental Breakfast Covers
|Side Plate with Side Knife
|The side place is kept at the center of the cover, while the side knife is kept over the underplate towards the right, with its cutting edge facing the left-hand side.
|The napkin is placed on the side plate under the side knife.
|Breakfast Cup and Saucer
|It is positioned towards the right-hand side of the cover. The handle of the cup must face right, and for the guest’s convenience, it must be slightly angled at 4 o’clock from the guest’s view. The teaspoon must be placed on the saucer with the spoon handle positioned towards the right.
#2. American Breakfast
Consumes widely in the Americas, an American breakfast is typically associated with traditional American cuisine. Renowned for its extensive hot and cold items, an American breakfast is neither heavy nor light.
Unlike a continental breakfast, it aims to be more satisfying and filling. An American breakfast also focuses on offering a person the necessary energy to start the day.
Top American Breakfast Foods
In a typical American breakfast, the following food items are included the most:
- Bacon or sausages are served as a side dish.
- Scrambled, boiled, or fried eggs. Eggs made into omelets are also included.
- French toast, breakfast wrap, and breakfast sandwiches.
- Home fries, waffles, and pancakes.
- Bacon and cereals.
Things to Remember When Serving American Breakfast
When it comes to types of breakfast in hotels, the American breakfast with its eggs, bacon, and pancakes is a popular choice among guests. However, you must know how to serve breakfast to make the best experience for your guests.
Remember the following when you serve an American breakfast:
- Ensure the breakfast has plenty of eggs, which is an essential part of every American breakfast.
- An American breakfast is all about variety. It must have both hot and cold and vegan and non-vegetarian options.
- Improve the presentation to make the breakfast exciting for guests with the help of garnishes, plates, and serve dishes.
- Always keep the breakfast items hot and fresh, as it helps improve the taste and experience of eating them.
American Breakfast Covers
|A Side Plate with a Side Knife
|A Bud Vase
|A Large Knife and a Fork
|Preserve the Dish on an Underline with a Preserves Spoon
|A Dessert Spoon and a Fork
|A Sugar Bowl with Sugar Cubes
|A Breakfast Cup and Saucer with a Teaspoon
#3. British Breakfast
Commonly used in Britain and Ireland, British breakfast is not only eaten daily but also saved for many special occasions. It is an important part of the British culinary tradition, and the history of the British breakfast goes back centuries to the 14th or 15th century.
Thanks to the popularity of breakfast, it can be found anywhere in the world, and it is often included as one of the types of breakfast on the menu in most 5 star hotels.
Top British Breakfast Foods
In a typical British breakfast, the following food items are included:
- Bacon is the most integral part of a British breakfast, and it is served crispy.
- Scrambled, fried, or poached egg is also essential to British breakfast.
- Sausage made from pork or beef, typically flavored with herbs.
- Fried or toast bread with butter, jam, or honey.
- Baked beans served in tomato sauce are another vital part of British breakfast.
- Freshly grilled tomatoes seasoned with pepper, salt, and herbs.
- Sauteed Mushrooms with butter and garlic.
- Beverages, such as coffee, tea, or juices.
Things to Remember When Serving British Breakfast
If you have included British breakfast as one of the many types of breakfast on the menu, you must also learn how to serve the same to create the most unique experience for your guests.
Therefore, you must pay attention to the details below when you serve a British breakfast in your hotel or restaurant:
- Never miss out on adding bacon to the British breakfast, as it is an essential part of the breakfast.
- Offering vegan and non-vegan options is one of the best things you can do when serving a British breakfast.
- Serving items hot and fresh is another crucial part of serving a British breakfast as it directly affects the experience.
- Adding condiments, such as sauce and ketchup, is another thing you must keep in mind as it is often preferred by the guests.
- Coffee and tea are considered crucial ingredients to make a British breakfast complete. Hence, serve them in plenty, along with juices.
British Breakfast Covers
|Side Plate with Side Knife
|The side plate is placed on the cover’s left-hand side. Likewise, the side knife is kept over the underplate with the knife’s cutting edge facing the left-hand side.
|It is kept on the side plate, under the side knife, or in the center of the cover.
|Fish Knife and Fork
|The knife is kept to the right while the fork is kept on the left of the cover.
|Large Knife and Fork
|The knife is kept to the right while the fork is kept on the left of the cover.
|Dessert Spoon and Fork
|The dessert spoon is placed on the top of the cover with its handle toward the right. The fork is kept down with its handle toward the left.
Major Food Items in These Types of Breakfast Menu Lists
The most popular breakfast menu in five-star hotels can be classified into the following:
|Baked Breakfast Items
|Classic Breakfast Items
|Sweet Breakfast Items
|Healthy Breakfast Items
|Bacon, Egg, and Cheese Sandwich
|Biscuit and Doughnut
|Muffins and French Toast
|Fried and Poached Eggs
|Grits, Ham, and Sausages
How to Ensure the Best Breakfast Experience for Your Guests?
Breakfast is one of the most significant services a hotel offers, and it may include different types of breakfast in its menus. When serving breakfast, hotels must ensure the best experience for their guests.
If you are wondering how, the following tips will help:
1. Include labels in plenty
Whether you serve an American or a British breakfast, a lack of labels can make it confusing for the guests.
The best way to avoid such confusion is to use adequate labels when serving breakfast. If you can explain the ingredients, it would be even better for guests who may be allergic to certain ingredients.
2. Help your guests pick
Although some hoteliers offer different types of breakfast, they do not adequately guide their guests, who may be confused about choosing their combination from the buffet.
Having someone to guide the guests to pick the best combination is important to ensure the most lip-smacking experience for your guests.
It will also reflect positively on your hospitality.
3. Deliver a low calories breakfast
Your guests may be staying for a few days in your hotel, which may lead to adding a few extra pounds. Hence, it would be better if you could make your breakfast low-calorie.
This would be an excellent service if you could do it for your health-conscious guests.
4. Make the breakfast ambiance unique
When you set the breakfast area ready for your guests, make it distinct and exciting. Set an impressive mood using colorful décor. Most restaurants often make the setting bland.
As breakfast may be the first social gathering most guests attend, you must do everything to set a joyful mood and precedence for the rest of the day.
As breakfast is the most important meal for your guests, it needs to be served with utmost care. Whether you offer an American breakfast or a continental breakfast, the quality and taste of the breakfast served must be second to none.
The breakfast should also be organized and presented impressively to encourage guests to pick their favorite breakfast items from the menu, relish them, and have a great time.
Position enough staff at the breakfast area to guide the guests and help them address any concerns immediately. As much as the taste and quality of the types of breakfast you offer, the service also matters to create the best impression.