Imagine a peaceful day where you are sitting at the reception table when a person walks in with a certain query.
You greet the person with the utmost generosity and eventually solve his/her query by asking all the right questions, providing solutions and patiently listening to the customer’s nuances.
What do you think will be his review for the hotel/company/office you are working in? And most importantly, what will be his review regarding you?
That is the power of understanding the types of speaking skills used for communication.
Well, I know you are tired of reading the same old stuff available on the internet about the various types of speaking skills, but here I have tried my best to deliver the pioneer knowledge in an interesting manner so that you enjoy every bit of it. In this article, you will learn some incredible tips and tricks that will set you apart from your peers, so stay with me, read till the end and I promise you will be a better communicator when you leave this page.
We are living in a world where soft skills largely influence our lives and career. Gone are the days where a degree would take you far ahead in life. Now your power to influence and communicate effectively with people is your biggest weapon. On this note I would like to end the introduction with a small quote.
“If you can speak, you can influence. If you can influence, you can change lives.”
Importance of Learning Types of Speaking Skills
Now, why should you understand how many types of speaking skills there are?
Here are a few simple and clear reasons:
- Different types of speaking skills act as the foundation of excellent soft skills in the outer world.
- Speaking skills act as the building blocks on which you can climb and build a fantastic building of beautiful conversations.
- Public speaking is one of the most in-demand skills of the digital world.
- Sales that bring in the best revenue and act as the greatest asset to the company are built on magnificent speaking skills.
- Hotel management requires new faces that are well presentable.
- Placement in a good company depends 80% on your communication and 20% on knowledge. All your group discussions will check your ability to form sentences, speak and listen.
- If you have to present ideas in your class or express your opinions with clarity in social situations, your ability to interact will be your sharpest weapon.
- Great professional and personal relationships are built or broken through speaking skills.
If you look around, you will find the relevance of speaking in each and every department, whether it is your favorite teacher, your best friend or someone you don’t like. All of them influence your mind by their conversational skills. You just cannot surpass life without learning various types of speaking skills.
Related:- GROOMING STANDARDS FOR HOTEL STAFF
Types of Speaking Skills Crucial for Every Student
Here come some technical parts about communicating. Read ahead on some skills and practices you require to shine through your career.
To improve your proficiency over a language, you must focus on practicing some skills in front of the mirror everyday. Here are some essential types of speaking skills for students:
Types of Speaking Skill 1 : Conversation skills
Conversational skills are important in everyday communication. The ability to participate in meaningful conversations, actively listen and express one’s thoughts clearly are important skills for building relationships and networking. Students can practice conversational skills by participating in group discussions, participating in extracurricular activities, and seeking opportunities for social interaction.
Tasks to implement:
- Conduct role plays with your friends.
- Start with a topic and and find a conclusion
- Write down the flow of your thoughts during the conversation.
- Have at least 5 role plays and ask a third person to note down the entire conversation.
- Bravo, you have just unlocked your thinking pattern.
- When we are in the middle of a conversation, we don’t realise where we are going wrong. Writing all the points will give you an opportunity to analyze, rethink and improve your conversation styles.
Types of Speaking Skill 2: Impromptu Speech
Impromptu speaking is a one the most difficult type of speaking skill, it refers to the ability to make a coherent speech or express an opinion spontaneously without prior preparation. It requires thinking on your feet, quick organization of thoughts and a concise and logical response. Participating in impromptu speaking exercises or participating in real speaking competitions can help students improve their ability to communicate effectively under pressure.
Tasks to Implement
- This is quite simple, give yourself a random topic and speak about it alone.
- Record yourself and play it in front of someone whom you think is excellent at communication.
- Improve and repeat the first step again.
Types of Speaking Skill 3: Passion
In order to speak skillfully you should be extremely passionate about the topic you are referring to. One of the underrated qualities required to connect with the audience is your interest in a particular area. Your interest in a certain topic will make you go into depths and “whys” of a certain department and only then you can derive a brilliant excerpt to present to your audience.
Moreover your passion will be clearly visible to the audience and it will create a sense of excitement in them. It’s said that energy is infectious, so the energy you contain will transfer to your audience. Passion is something inherent. Either you have it for a particular topic or you just don’t have it, so there is no task for this.
Types of Speaking Skill 4: Presentation skills
Presentation skills include the ability to effectively communicate information using visual aids such as slides or multimedia, engaging and engaging an audience. Students are often required to give presentations as part of their academic requirements, and acquiring this skill can significantly improve their academic performance and future professional success. Practicing your presentation skills with sample presentations, asking for feedback from colleagues or teachers, and studying successful presenters can be very helpful.
Task to Implement
- Before you present in front of your class, practice presenting alone so that you can excel at your final day.
- Learn the main pointers of your presentation, I have seen many people looking at the slides while presenting, that’s a complete turn off for the audience and you can never connect with the audience.
- You should know what points have to be highlighted on a particular slide and as slides have crisp and short sentences, always be ready with your explanations and thoughts behind the pointers.
Types of Speaking Skill 5: Clear articulation
Good open speakers articulate words clearly and utilize legitimate linguistic use whereas maintaining a strategic distance from verbal bolsters like “um” and “ah”. Verbal bolsters can divert the group of onlookers from what the speaker is really attempting to say. Open speakers with clear verbalization lend more clarity to their considerations since they have fabulous command over the dialect, utilize suitable words and have a wealthy lexicon. Separated from diminishing verbosity, clear enunciation gives you the certainty to talk at little and huge meetings.
Task to Implement
- Clarity of thoughts is very attractive. Mainly the exercise mentioned in conversation skills will help you with gaining clarity.
- One exercise I want you to practice is whenever you face any issue in life and you have to make a decision. Write a list of Pros and Cons, best case scenarios and worst case scenarios.
- This will help you in attaining clarity in your decisions and thoughts.
Types of Speaking Skill 6: Discourse and Persuasive Speaking:
Argumentative and persuasive skills include arguments, defending a position and influencing others through reasoned and effective communication. These skills are valuable for critical thinking, developing a strong understanding of different perspectives, and the ability to express ideas persuasively. Joining discussion groups, participating in public speaking workshops, or participating in mock debates can improve these skills.
Task to Implement
- Debate is not what we watch in news channels, where people are shouting aloud on their opinions. You have to be calm and composed while talking and expressing your pov and you have to patiently listen to what the other person has to say.
- Take on a controversial topic and debate with your friends.
- Notice your reaction when someone goes against your beliefs. Make sure you are listening and not judging the other person’s opinion.
Types of Speaking Skill 7 :Public performance
Public speaking is the ability to convey a message or share information to a large audience. It requires clear articulation, appropriate use of body language and engaging the audience. Developing strong speaking skills can increase confidence, improve leadership skills and enhance persuasive communication. Students benefit from joining public speaking clubs, participating in debates, or speaking in front of their classmates. To be honest, public speaking improves when you speak in public, it’s the same like learning swimming, you have to dive in water to learn. Initially start with a small group and then slowly increase.
I have added a list of tasks for you to implement, so don’t shy away from practicing all of them for your own improvement. These were the types of speaking skills in communication which will eventually scale your career to the next level. Now let’s move on to learn more about the speaking types.
Fundamentals on Types of Speaking Skills
Fundamentals on Types of Speaking Skill 1: Pronunciation
Articulation straightforwardly influences the comprehensibility of one’s discourse. Appropriately articulating sounds, push designs, and pitch empowers audience members to get the message being passed on. Clear articulation makes a difference dodge mistaken assumptions, perplexity, and the requirement for consistent redundancy. It permits speakers to be more certain and emphatic in communicating themselves, improving their generally communicative competence.
Fundamentals on Types of Speaking Skill 2 :Grammar
Language structure gives the establishment for successful sentence development and coherence. It empowers learners to associate thoughts and express connections between concepts. By understanding how to utilize conjunctions, relational words, and other syntactic structures, speakers can create clear and cohesive sentences, empowering them to specific complex considerations and contentions. This cohesiveness contributes to the generally familiarity and convincingness of their discourse.
Fundamentals on Types of Speaking Skill 3: Vocabulary
A wealthy and differing lexicon improves our capacity to communicate our contemplations and concepts precisely. The more words we have at our transfer, the greater our precision gets to be. With a vigorous lexicon, we are able to select the foremost suitable words to specific our contemplations, including profundity and subtlety to our communication. This not as it were makes a difference when we clearly verbalize our thoughts but too permits us to lock in our gathering of people more viably, captivating their consideration and cultivating significant connections.
Framework to Create an Effective Speech
A prominent framework for creating an effective speech is PREP which stands for Point, Reason, Example and Point.
- Point: You have to find a main point from where you start your speech and construct the body. This framework is usually recommended for short speeches and you should focus on just one point so that your audience can connect.
- Reasons: Now you should justify your point by providing a valid reason. You can even provide some research facts or data to verify your pointers.
- Examples: Presenting relevant illustrations are a great way to explain your points. It is considered as one of the best methods through which your audience can understand and relate.
- Point: Reiterate your pointers again to conclude your speech.
Assessment of Types of Speaking Skills
Now that you are well versed with the types of speaking skills in communication, let’s move ahead to the next level. Here I am providing a table that will help you in assessing your knowledge with different types of speaking skills in English. Ask your professor to check you for these parameters by conducting oral displays and presentations in front of him. Attempt this assessment only after practicing all the exercises I have mentioned in this article.
(How was the clarity of thought? Whether or not the person was able to communicate his thoughts and opinions without using much fillers?)
(The variation of past, present and future tense was correct or not?)
(Whether the person could listen to sentences and viewpoints that were against his/her beliefs with generosity and patience?)
(How is the pronunciation of particular words for a person?)
(The person was able to present and explain his points without looking at the slides?)
In conclusion, it’s clear that possessing effective types of speaking skills is vital for success in today’s fast-paced world. The ability to articulate your ideas and thoughts confidently and in a persuasive manner can open doors to various opportunities in both personal and professional contexts.
Whether it’s impressing potential employers, delivering engaging presentations, or simply communicating your message to a wider audience, honing your speaking skills can yield significant benefits. By understanding the various types of speaking skills and practicing them regularly, anyone can develop the confidence and ability to speak with impact and authority, empowering them to achieve their goals and aspirations.